Titusville, Florida  


Historic Walking Tour Description (1998)


"Click" here for a Map that will open in a new window. Make them overlap so you can switch back and forth while taking this virtual Walking Tour.

North Brevard Historical Museum

1. 301 South Washington Avenue

Start your walking tour at the North Brevard Historical Museum. The Historical Society of North Brevard, Inc. operates the museum and preserves and displays the community's history in this 1910 building. The museum (321) 269-3658 is open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm.

2. 21 Main Street

The Van Croix Theatre opened in 1926 and featured silent movies. Later abandoned, it was reconstructed by WPA workers in 1939 and used as a high school basketball gym and community center. Today it is home to Badcock Home Furnishings Center. Adjacent is RDM Tile & Flooring which was the old Star Advocate newspaper office.

 

3. 13 Main Street

Titusville Post Office and Scobie Supply Company built in 1926 is now the Gaslight Mall, home to several different businesses including the SPCA Thrift Shop, Floral Designs by Chandra, R. Merrill Gordon, artist and Suit Realty.

4. 106 Main Street

Stewart's Cash Store, 1913, is now home to Banana Alley Antique Shop.

5. 219 S. Washington Ave

This 1926 Spanish building was constructed as a service station and is now Custom Bedding.

6. 303 S. Washington Ave

In 1910 Western Union had an early telegraph relay station here between Jacksonville and Miami. Shield A Child Mission is now here.

7. 305 S. Washington Ave

Built in 1910 for the Titusville Hardware store, it still has the original tin ceiling, heart pine floor and display shelves. Today, a children's resale shop enjoys this building.

 8. 307-311 S. Washington Ave

Over the years the 1910 Spanish building has been occupied by O'Flanagan Furniture, Knox Clothing Store and a grocery store. It had Titusville's first elevator. First floor is now occupied by Titusville Florist & Plantery and Kelley Photography.

9. 315 S. Washington Ave

This one story masonry vernacular is still a real estate office today as it was in 1910, housing Estrada Realty.

10. 317 S. Washington Ave

The Banner Drug Store and adjacent Bank of Titusville were constructed in 1912 by J. C. Spell, M.D. Titusville's first licensed pharacist, who also operated the drug store. Space Coast Pawn Shop now operates a business there.

 11. 319 S. Washington Ave

Home of the Bank of Titusville from 1912 until 1924. The building later was headquareters for Nevins Fruit Co., (one of the oldest independent citrus packers in Florida) owned by the Parrish family. Now Mays & Associates and gift items can be found there.

 12. 323 S. Washington Ave

This masonry vernacular was built in 1890 and occupied over the years by Nelson Feed Store, F & S Department Store and now by Sand Drift Aikikai.

13. 327 S. Washington Ave

Capt. James Pritchard built Pritchard and Son Hardware in 1890. The original floors, walls and tin ceiling and an interesting tiled entry are still intact.

 14. 329-331 S. Washington Ave

Built in 1890 with a Spanish influence and remodeled in 1925 this building has been home to a variety of stores including O'Flanagan Furniture and Electric, and Wattwood Dress Shop. Today's shops are Baskets of Abundance, Creative Touch Ceramics, Bookworm and Southern Lights.

15. 337 S. Washington Ave

In 1890 the Denham Department Store was built in the masonry vernacular style. The building underwent major remodeling in 1990 when Kloiber's Cobbler & Eatery opened. A Coca Cola sign may still be seen on the north side of the building.

 Indian River State Bank, 1888

Indian River State Bank 1888

16. 345-349 S. Washington Ave and 102-112 Julia St.

Titusville's first bank, the Indian River State Bank, was built in 1888 by Capt. James Pritchard. The second floor which served as a community meeting room is now the Downtown Dance Studio. Currently a variety of businesses and offices including Indian River Bazaar, Indian River Creations, 345 Gallery, Flagg and Howard P.A., Lightspeed Space Art Gallery and C & C Construction can be found here.

 17. 407 S. Washington Ave

Titusville's first grocery store, L.A. Brady Grocery Store, was built in 1880. This and other buildings immediately south were occupied by Jackson Garage, Coca Cola, Bryan-Conway Realtors, Grower's Supply and Sears. The building was renovated and reopened in 1988 as the Granada Building, housing several government agencies and businesses including Gulf Atlantic Title, Cathedral Holdings and Loys Ward Surveying and Engineering.

 18. 300 S. Washington Ave

This 1924 Beaux Arts Classical style bank building has a lovely curved staircase and beautiful chandelier in the lobby.

19. 302 S. Washington Ave

The Walker Apartments were built for the influx of tourists in 1924 in the Spanish style with an arched arcade and a carved sailing ship above the entry.

 20. 322 S. Washington Ave

The Davis Building was constructed in 1925.

21. 322 1/2 S. Washington Ave

The O.K. Barber Shop, 1925, can be seen from S. Hopkins Avenue. Operated for many years by Warren Davis beginning in 1937, the barber chairs, sinks, cash register and shoe shine are all originals.

Walker Apts & Titusville Bank, 1925

The Walker Apartments and Titusville Bank & Trust - 1925

 22. 322 S. Washington Ave

The Florida Power and Light Co. building, c.1910, Spanish style with apartments upstairs, is now occupied by Sease Electric, Inc.

23. 330 S. Washington Ave

Constructed in 1910 and formerly occupied by a grocery store, a children's store and dress shop, this is now the home of Griffo Graphics and Printing.

 24. 338-340 S. Washington Ave

Alpine Hotel and Saloon, circa 1888, was later occupied by Losley Electri, Frank's Bar and Wisby Jewelers. It was renovated in 1992 by Martin Parrish and Robert Smith of Pardue, Heid, Chruch, Smith & Waller of Brevard, Inc.

25. 342 S. Washington Ave

This 1910 building first served as home to the Bethea Meat Market and today to River Road Mecantile featuring antiques and hand crafted items.

 26. 346 S. Washington Ave

The Christmas Shoppe lights up this corner in a building which has been in the Duren family for over 100 years.

27. 214 Julia Street

The Spanish stuccoed building, now Linger Awhile Antiques Shop, was constructed in 1925 by fruit grower Mr. Duren.

 28. 301 Julia Street

Built in 1905, the east building originally was a hotel and saloon. Remodeled as Titusville's first silent movie house, the tickets cost 5 cents for children and 10 cents for adults. After remodeling again in the 1950's as the Florida Theatre, it eventually sat idle until it was restored by Titusville Playhouse, Inc. in 1981. It was dedicated in 1984 as the Emma Parrish Theatre (named after the wife of Senator Jesse Parrish, Sr.). A facade renovation was completed in 1991.

 Magnolia Theatre, 1905

Magnolia Theatre 1905

 29. 314 Julia Street

Built in 1925 by the Conkling family for the Indian River Title and Abstact Company, it had apartments upstairs.

30. 422 Julia Street

Still an apartment building today, the Spanish Mission Palm Hotel and Apartments was built in 1925.

 31. 414 Pine Street

St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, 1887, built in the Carpenter Gothic style on land donated by Mary Hopkins Titus, widow of Col. Henry Titus. The stained glass, considered among the finest in Victorian glass on Florida's East Coast, was made in England and finished in New York. The large steeple houses a bell, said to be the largest in Brevard County, donated by the ladies of the church and installed in 1892.

32. 308 Pine Street

Brevard County Records Building was built in 1903 to house permanent county records. It later served as Titusville City Hall and supervisor of elections office and today it is Commonwealth Land Title Insurance.

33. Pine Street (west of Courthouse)

The Spanish styled Florida East Coast Railway Station was constructed in 1925 during the city's first boom period after Henry Flager extended his new railway in 1893.

34. 506 S. Palm Avenue

In 1879 Titusville became the county seat. The Brevard County Courthouse, which embodies the Classical Revival styling with a facade of the Doric order, was built in 1912 on land donated by Colonel Henry Titus.

 35. 503-507 S. Palm Avenue

The Brevard Title & Abstract Co. built in 1925 is now occupied by the law offices of Studstill, Bardwell & Erlenbach.

36. 509 Palm Avenue

In 1920, the Spanish style building housed the law offices of Smith, Crofton and Wilson. Today it is occupied by Holland, Starling, Severs, Stadler & Friedland P.A.

1998

Home - Walking Tour - Walking Tour Map - History
The Walking Tour Map will open in a new window so you can refer back to it while taking the virtual Walking Tour.


 


Titusville is a wonderfully varied community.
 
HOME

Calendar/Events
    Festivals
Places to Go
    Things to Do

Titusville Area
    Businesses

Arts & Culture
Community Orgs.
Government

Titusville Bargains
TWITTER updates

Keeping you up-to-date with what is available and what is going on in the Titusville, FL area.
the North Brevard Area
Produced by Peak Performance Co.
nbbdcom@gmail.com
Last updated: 2/21/11 — © 1996 - 2011
Your Titusville area business web site, web page, or web card on this Community Directory. We can register, produce, host and market your Internet presence.
Contact the webmaster for most anything
BY CLICKING HERE