The heart of our ministries is our chapel program.
A chapel service is defined as a religious service which is subordinate to the local church. The Special Gathering Chapel Services are religious services for the mentally challenged community sponsored by local churches. For many of our members, this is in addition to their involvement in their own churches. For many of our members this becomes their church. Including all chapels, between 350 to 400 people worship weekly in a service designed for them. They also attend one of 21 instructional classes which are designed for their particular needs.
Richard & Nancy Stimson and those we serve.
Click on a small picture to see the enlargements.
But there is more:
- We help mentally challenged persons and their families advocate for themselves.
- We serve as a third party advocate for our members.
- We advocate for a Christian view on disability issues.
- We help our members and their families know what options they have available to them.
- Camp Agape is our annual camp in Vero Beach for mentally challenged persons.
- We conduct field trips to local attractions and theme parks.
- We plan and have socials where we come together to eat and fellowship.
- We have three choirs who sing at local chapels, churches and civic groups.
- We have a trio which sings at local gatherings.
- We do Christmas play productions at four locations annually
- We train local members to speak, lead in worship, usher, pray and to perform other functions in a local chapel or church.
- We sponsor an annual conference for those in disability ministry.
- We publish a quarterly newsletter for those in disability ministry.
- We consult with those people who are starting disability ministries.
- We have a manual on starting a disability ministry.
- We conduct Disability Simulation Workshops in local churches.
- We have a Speaker's Bureau where we speak at local churches, schools and civic groups.
- Our choir sings and shares on many different occasions.
- We publish Connecting Point, a newsletter written for and by mentally challenged persons.
- We have had articles published about us and written by us in such publications as Christianity Today, Presbyterian Survey, United Methodist Reporter, Pentecostal Evangel and Charisma.
|If you, or someone you know, would be interested in participating in|
or supporting this program, please give us a call.