The Titusville and Island Gathering
A ministry dedicated to sharing the good news within the mentally challenged community in Brevard County.Richard Stimson
20 Sutton St., Rockledge, FL 32955
The Titusville Chapel
The Merritt Island Chapel
The oldest program in The Special Gathering family, The Island Gathering is also one of our larger chapels in the growing ministry fellowship. The sister program in Titusville, Florida, has also been effective in drawing many of the mentally challenged population living in the community into its fellowship. Both programs meet on Sunday, allowing a respite time for families to be able to attend the worship services of their choice.
Many local churches from different denomination join to sponsor the program. Through the ministry of The Special Gathering members in these chapels, Brevard County parishioners are learning to appreciate the unique gifts that these adults bring to the Chapel. The Special Gathering choir is invited to sing in the local churches. Members may even share the testimony of what Christ has done in their lives. Visitors from many places have come to share in the unique worship experience they find at The Special Gathering.
The Island Gathering meets each Sunday at 10 a.m. at 65 Needle Blvd., in the chapel of Grace United Methodist Church.
Titusville meets 3 p.m. at 1355 Highway 50 in the chapel of Indian River City United Methodist Church.
And there is more:
- We help mentally challenged persons and their families advocate for themselves.
- We serve as a third party advocate for our members.
- We advocate for a Christian view on disability issues.
- We help our members and their families know what options they have available to them.
- Camp Agape is our annual camp in Vero Beach for mentally challenged persons.
- We conduct field trips to local attractions and theme parks.
- We plan and have socials where we come together to eat and fellowship.
- We do an annual Christmas play production.
- Our choir.
- Our newsletter team.
- Our leadership council.
- We train local members to speak, lead in worship, usher, pray and to perform other functions in a local chapel or church.
- We conduct Disability Simulation Workshops in local churches.
- We have a Speaker's Bureau where we speak at local churches, schools and civic groups.
- Our choir sings and shares on many different occasions.
- We publish Connecting Point, a newsletter written for and by mentally challenged persons.
- We have had articles published about us and written by us in such publications as Christianity Today, Presbyterian Survey, United Methodist Reporter, Pentecostal Evangel and Charisma.