OF NORTH BREVARD, INC.
P.O. Box 897
Titusville, FL 32781-0897
Martha Noffel, president: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings are normally held on the 1st Tuesday of each month (except July and August) 6 to 8 pm at the Titusville Public Library, 2121 South Hopkins Avenue, Titusville, FL.
For more information contact email@example.com.
Submitted by: Barb Hardbarger
WHAT IS GENEALOGY?
Genealogy is the study of family history, and for many it is an interesting hobby.
To trace your family's ancestry takes some basic research skills and a great deal of patience and time. It's easy to begin, just start with your generation and work back in time searching for names, dates and places which pertain to your ancestors.
Our reference library is in the Titusville Public Library.
- To promote and stimulate knowledge and interest in the study of genealogy.
- To provide for exchange of information among members and assist members in their genealogical research.
- To assist members and non-members in educational programs and workshops in genealogy and family history.
- To enhance and increase the genealogical reference section of the Titusville Public Library.
- To encourage the indexing and maintaining of original genealogical material.
We begin our gatherings with approximately 20 minutes to sign in, buy tickets for the drawing, grab a snack, and talk to other members. At this point the business section of the meeting will commence. Out of respect for our President and presenters please curtail all conversations during this portion of the meeting. We also ask that cell phones be silenced at this time.
We are always looking for new members. If you know someone who might be interested in joining, please invite them to attend as a guest. We would love to have them and you might even help spread our "addiction".
Membership dues for 2013 are still being collected at the monthly meetings. Dues are $15 per person and $20 per family. Dues may be paid when you attend any meeting at the welcome table. When paying by mail, please make your check payable to GSNB, Inc. and send to P.O. Box 897, Titusville, FL 32781-0897.
Staples Rewards: Don't forget to bring your used printer ink cartridges to our meetings. We use the Rewards credit from Staples to pay for our monthly printing needs. Our members are doing a great job at keeping the cost of printing of our newsletter covered in advance. Thanks to all who contribute to this cause!
Refreshments: The sign up sheet for snacks and beverages for our monthly meetings is available at the welcome table. If you have a specialty, consider sharing it with us at one of our meetings.
GSNB CD Collection: Ginny Nichols will bring pre-requested CD's with her to this meeting. Email her if there is something you would like to check out and she will bring it to the meeting. Make sure you put "CD Library" in the subject line of your email and then let her know what you would like her to bring in the body of the message. Her address is firstname.lastname@example.org. This service will be available by email only - no phone calls please.
Drawing Items: Don't forget to purchase your tickets before the meeting. They will be available at the welcome table. There are always many interesting items to choose from on the winners table. When you choose your prize, let the ladies at the welcome table know what you picked so they will be able to keep track and replace items that are in high demand.
Some of our shelves in the Genealogy section.
- Personal help on one-to-one basis at the Titusville Public Library, call library (264-5026) for current schedule.
- Maintain a file reflecting surnames being researched by members.
- Maintain a bibliography file of books owned by members who are willing to share their genealogical sources with others.
- Extracting vital statistics from pre-1900 newspaper serving Brevard County.
- Collecting and preserving ancestor tables and pedigree charts summarizing the ancestry of the Society's membership.
- Publishing monthly The Register, a newsletter available at meetings.
|Click here for a survey of
in the Titusville
GSNB, Inc. is a non-profit service organization formed by those persons who have a common interest in genealogy.
GSNB, Inc. is affiliated with the Federation of Genealogical Societies, the National Genealogical Society and the Florida State Genealogical Society.
|Click here for|
LINKS TO OTHER
GENEALOGISTS' CODE OF ETHICS
Be it known to all
- That I am a responsible genealogical record searcher---dedicated to seeking that which is true about families I research. Family traditions are to be treated only as clues until substantiated.
- That I first shall seek permission for the use of the resources and acknowledge with gratitude all who assist me in my searches.
- That I pledge myself to use all artifacts and/or documents, whether private or public, entrusted to my use, with the greatest of care, leaving them in the assigned place, in the same condition in which I found them. If repair or restorative treatment is required, I shall report the same to those who are responsible for their safe use.
- That I shall refrain from reporting either orally or in writing, any information which might harm or prejudicially injure the reputation of any living person.
- That I freely give this pledge to uphold ethical standards to assure maintenance and availability of records.
BEGINNING YOUR RESEARCH
- Your first step is to do some homework. Collect and organize information that you and other family members have relating to the more recent generations of your family. Good sources are oral history, family Bibles, letters, certificates, legal documents, news clippings and photographs.
- Try to organize your data as you go along. An ancestor chart similar to that illustrated in this brochure is a good outline. Ancestor charts, family group charts and other forms useful in organizing genealogical data are available from a local genealogical society or from genealogical publishers.
- Taking good notes and keeping records of your sources as you go along will save time and avoid repetition as you continue your research in libraries, archives and county courthouses.
North Brevard Friends of the Library