HISTORICAL MARKER TO BE DEDICATED AT HAULOVER CANAL WITHIN CANAVERAL NATIONAL SEASHORECONTACT: John Stiner at (321) 267-1110 Ext. 14
A state historical marker identifying the original Haulover Canal as a Florida Heritage Site will be dedicated at the Haulover Canal manatee viewing area in Canaveral National Seashore at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 6.
This narrow strip of land between Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River was used by Native Americans, Spanish explorers and early settlers as they hauled or carried canoes and small boats from one body of water to the other. Fort Ann was established nearby during the Second Seminole War, to protect the military supplies being carried from the lagoon to the river.
The first canal, three feet deep and 14 feet wide, was dug at the site in 1852. Steamboat and cargo ships used the passage until the railroad arrived in 1885. The Florida Coast Line Canal and Transportation Company then dug a deeper canal nearby.
The Intracoastal Waterway incorporated the Haulover Canal as a federal project in 1927 to be maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Since then, the channel has been widened and deepened, with a basin added for launching boats.
Representatives from the National Park Service, North Brevard Heritage Foundation, Brevard County Historical Commission and Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, who co-manages the area with the National Park Service, will attend.
The public is invited to attend. Due to closures for the shuttle launch on December 7, the site can be accessed via State Road 3, just south of Oak Hill.
BACK to Canaveral National Seashore Press Releases
BACK to Canaveral National Seashore NBBD HomePage