The East Mims Neighborhood Plan
- The Brevard County Neighborhood Planning Process is providing an organized and focused way to assist the East Mims neighborhood in planning for the future. By identifying and prioritizing current and long range needs, challenges and strengths, the neighborhood planning process is helping the neighborhood create a plan of action to further achieve goals identified in the East Mims Vision 2020 planning exercise conducted by residents in 1999.
- Since February 1, 2002 the County Planning and Zoning Office has been facilitating the East Mims Plan by working with a planning team consisting of staff from the County Housing and Human Services Department, Community Revitalization Programs, and a neighborhood planning committee made up of 8 members from the East Mims Civic League.
- The team is coordinating the development of the Neighborhood Plan that identifies and prioritizes immediate and long-range projects based on the neighborhood's needs and vision, while translating these priorities into ongoing County operating and budget planning. The team will continue working with the neighborhood to identify funds for priority projects and coordinate with non-county agencies and resources that may undertake future projects in East Mims.
- The Planning Team, with the technical assistance of Mr. Alan Woolwich, AICP, a Senior Planner with the Brevard County Planning and Zoning Office, have been working on-site in the neighborhood, conducting weekend planning team workshops, field walks, windshield surveys, citizen information surveys, photo surveys, and mapping exercises.
- The draft plan will be available for neighborhood review in the summer of 2002.
The major elements of the draft East Mims Neighborhood Plan to date include:
- Business & Business Skills Development
- Utilities Infrastructure
- Final Design & Construction of H.T. Moore Avenue
- Resolving Nuisance & Safety Issues
- Housing Improvements & New Construction
- Land Use & Property Zoning
- Programs for Senior Citizens
- Parks and Recreation
- Transportation - Roadway, Sidewalk & Bikeway Improvements
- Beautification and Landscaping
- The H.T. Moore Historic Site
Anticipated benefits of The East Mims Neighborhood Planning process include:
- Focusing the attention of County policymakers and staff on the key issues of the neighborhood;
- Increasing access to resources by prioritizing neighborhood needs and concerns;
- Building consensus around the neighborhood's plan as well in increasing internal community cohesion;
- Forging a stronger partnership between neighbors, County government, civic groups, non-profit organizations, and the business community.
Staff Contact:Alan Woolwich, Senior Planner
Brevard County Planning and Zoning Office
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
Viera, FL 32940
April 28, 3002 Neighborhood Plan Summary
April 28, 3002 Capital Improvements Plan Summary
BACK to Projects Page
BACK to EMPCL HomePage
BACK to NBBD Calendar of Events