North Brevard History - Titusville, Florida


Historical Markers of North Brevard


This web site was started in April of 2007. It is a work in progress. There are many more markers to be added. NBBD.COM and Walter's Photos believe that it will be a very revealing historical documentation of our area.
Photos by Walter & Renee of www.waltersphotos.org


Click for a google map locating these highway markers.
Click on a picture for an enlargement that opens in a new window.
NOTE: Latitude and Longitude Coordinates.

PRINT THIS INFORMATION - 19 page PDF

Google map with locations of these markers.


Pritchard HouseSt. Gabriel'sOliver's CampLaGrange ChurchLaGrange CemetaryLaGrange/Mims CemetaryCourthouseNegro SchoolClifton Colored SchoolDummett GroveSt.James ChurchAddison CanalMoore MemorialWindoverHaulover CanalBlue Star Memorial HighwayTitus HouseBartram Trail

Pritchard Historic House

Pritchard House picture


The Pritchard House
1891

Captain James Pritchard bought a lot from Mary Titus, and in the spring of 1891 contracted Pleasant J. Hall, who had built St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, to build a Queen Anne style house of heart pine. It appears today much like it did then. On the first floor is a main entrance hall, a stairway to the second floor, parlor and dining room. The kitchen was separated from the main living area by an open passage, now closed in with a slide door. A narrow stairway ascends from the kitchen to the maid's room above. The second floor has four bedrooms with built-in closets. Only the master bedroom had access to the balcony. The passage between the main house and maid's room at the end of the hall later became a bathroom. A pipe connected to a hand pump located next to the tub carried water from the cistern below. The four fireplaces have original tiled hearths. The entrance hall light fixture is original. In 1888, Pritchard organized Titusville's first bank, built the first generating plant in 1890 - later sold to Florida Power and Light Co., and owned James Pritchard and Son Hardware Store. Pritchard family members had continuously lived in the house, until it was purchased by Brevard County in May 2005.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE - SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION, THE BREVARD COUNTY TOURIST DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL A D THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-558 - 2005
424 South Washington Avenue, Downtown Titusville -- 28.610476, -80.807678
      INDEX
St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church

St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church in Titusville, FL.


St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church

In 1887, construction on a church was begun on land donated to the Titusville Episcopal mission by Mary Titus, wife of the town's founder, and J. Dunlin Perkinson, lay reader of the mission. The name of the church was changed from St. John's to St. Gabriel's with the gift in 1888 of a stained glass window depicting St. Gabriel. The neo-Gothic style reflects a trend in Episcopal Church architecture in central Florida during the late 1800's. This style was spread through the efforts of Edwin G. Weed, third bishop of Florida. The church, which is listed on the†National Register of Historic Places, contains a fine collection of Victorian stained glass.††
SPONSORED BY ST.†GABRIEL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN COOPERATION WITH DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-231 - 1974
414 Pine St., Downtown Titusville -- 28.610456, -80.809180
      INDEX
Oliver's Camp historic marker

Oliver's Camp on pilings


OLIVER'S CAMP

This site derives its name from the Oliver family who migrated from Missouri and homesteaded this area of Turnbull Hammock in the early 1870's. They owned large tracts of timberland and citrus groves, and the main "camp" was located on this property. In 1886 L.C. Oliver started a lumber business in Titusville and dealt in Georgia pine lumber, shingles, and other building supplies, Oliver bought half interest in the Budge & Huckabay Hardware store in 1888, and renamed the business Oliver & Budge Hardware & Lumber. Budge and Oliver moved to Miami in 1895, and started another hardware and lumber business. Budge bought Oliver's half interest in the Titusville business, and in 1898 sold it to his father-in-law, Captain J. Pritchard, and it became James Pritchard and Son Hardware, In 1918 Oliver and wife Louise sold their Turnbull Hammock 40 acres to Florida Senator J.J. Parrish and wife Emma for $15,000. Parrish was one of the state's largest citrus grove owners and businessmen during the early 1900's. Located on this property was a 1910 Craftsman style two-story house that Parrish used as the grove caretaker's residence. Brevard County purchased this property and is now the location of the Chain of Lakes Regional Park.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-589 - 2006
Chain of Lakes Regional Park off of US 1†on Jay Jay Rd. -- 28.633291, -80.822942

      House photo is by Dave Rich

      INDEX
LaGrange Community Church historic marker

LaGrange Community Church


LAGRANGE COMMUNITY CHURCH

Founded by Tom Johnson Cockshutt in 1869, this was the first organized Protestant Church on the East Coast of Florida between New Smyrna and Key West. Tom donated land for a cemetery and built a small log structure located on what is now the northern part of LaGrange Cemetery. It was used as a public meeting place, church, and the first public school in Brevard County. IN 1872 a two-story structure of vertical logs was built on the present site. The first floor was used as a church and the second floor for public meetings and a schoolhouse. IN 1893 the second story was removed, a bay window was added between the two front doors, and horizontal boards were placed over the vertical logs, encompassing the old structure within the walls of the new. Depicted on one of the eight memorial windows are the names of those who built the church, J. N. Feaster; J. C. C. Feaster; Tom J. Cockshutt; †W. S. Norwood; †B. J. Mims; †R. Singleton; and W. P. Day. The first ordained pastor was W. N. Chaudoin from 1871-1904. Several other congregations were formed from this small church that included: First Presbyterian of Titusville: Mims Methodist Church: and Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims.†
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-540 - 2005
1575 Old Dixie Highway, 3 miles north of Titusville, just north of Dairy Road. -- 28.639614, -80.836993
      INDEX
LaGrange Community Cemetary marker

Col. Titus' grave in the LaGrange Cemetery


LAGRANGE COMMUNITY CEMETERY

Established in 1869. this is the oldest cemetery on Florida's lower East Coast. The oldest portion is located in the front corner section, evidenced by the southeasterly positioning of the tombstones. Tom Johnson Cockshutt (1841-1917), who arrived here in 1868 and made barrels nearby , donated this parcel to be used, in part as a community cemetery. In 1869 he organized the first protestant church on the East Coast between New Smyrna and Key West. The community built a small log structure to serve as the first pubic meeting house, area schoolhouse, and church. It was located in what is now the north portion of LaGrange Cemetery. LaGrange Community Church, built in 1872, stands just south of this parcel. The earliest marked grave is that of Andrew Feaster, a War of 1812 veteran, who settled here in 1865, died in 1869 and is buried in the large family plot. Gravesites of many pioneer families include Tom J. Cockshutt, founder of the Church; Andrew Froscher, undertaker; Dr. B.R. Wilson, physician; William S. Norwood, who operated the first overland mail service; Mims, for whom the town of Mims was named; and Colonel Henry T. Titus (1823-1881), founder of Titusville.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE - SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION AND THE†FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE -- F-489 - 2003
1575 Old Dixie Highway, 3 miles north of Titusville, just north of Dairy Road. -- 28.639853, -80.837081

      Cemetery photo is by Dave Rich

      INDEX
LaGrange / Mims Community Cemetary marker

Harry & Harriette Moore's graves in the LaGrange / Mims Cemetery


LAGRANGE / MIMS COMMUNITY CEMETERY

In the early 1900s a two-acre parcel of land north of LaGrange Church and Cemetery was given to the Mims colored community for a cemetery. Earliest marked graves are dated 1903; many were unmarked. During the late 1800s both blacks and whites worshipped at the LaGrange Community Church. In 1894, after organizing their own congregation, St, James Colored Missionary Baptist Church †acquired land in Mims and in 1904 built their own church. In June 1913, trustees of that church purchased this parcel from the East Coast Cattle Company for use as a cemetery, then referred to as the Mims Colored Cemetery. Many of the North Brevard's pioneering black families rest in this hallowed ground with family names of Abrams, Bell, Brothers, Brown, Campbell, Cuyler, Grant, Gibson, Highsmith, McKenzie, Mitchell, Seigler, Simms, Strickland, Warren and Williams. Most noted are the graves of Harry T. Moore and Harriette V. Simms Moore, Florida civil rights activists. Moore was chapter president of the Brevard County National Association of the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and later NAACP Florida Convention president/state coordinator. On Christmas Eve, 1951, the Moores were killed when their home, located near this site, was bombed.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND THE†FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE -- F-488 - 2003
1575 Old Dixie Highway, 3 miles north of Titusville, just north of Dairy Road. -- 28.640335, -80.837336

      Cemetery photo is by Dave Rich

      INDEX
Historic Brevard County Courthouse marker in Titusville, FL.

Historic Brevard County Courthouse in Titusville, FL.


HISTORIC BREVARD COUNTY COURTHOUSE

Brevard County was founded in 1855 and Titusville became the county seat in 1879. The first courthouse was a two-story classical revival wood structure built in 1882, on land donated by Titusville founder Col. Henry Titus. In 1912, County Commissioners ordered the construction of a new courthouse which opened in March 1913. The old wooden structure was moved to the back of the site and sold at auction. Lightman, McDonald & Co. of Jacksonville built the two-story structure of re-enforced concrete for $30,566. Four large classical columns mark the original main entrance on the east side. On the north and south entrances were two small piazzas with one-story classical columns. County Commissioners, Clerk of the Court, Treasurer, Tax Assessor/Collector, and Surveyor offices were on the first floor. On the second floor were a large courtroom, lawyer's offices, judge's chamber, and jury rooms. In 1926, a three-story wing was added to the west side. On the third floor were jail cells, warden's quarters, kitchen, and hospital ward. Sheriff, other county offices, and vault room were located on the second floor. The courthouse continues to serve Brevard County, and the jail facilities on the third floor are no longer used.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION, THE BREVARD COUNTY TOURIST DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-570 - 2006

506 South Palm Avenue - Downtown Titusville -- 28.640335, -80.837336

In 2006 the courthouse was renamed (with a new exterior sign) as the Vassar B. Carlton Historic Titusville Courthouse.

      INDEX
Titusville Negro School-Marker

Known as 'The Old Barn'


TITUSVILLE NEGRO SCHOOL

Following temporary sites on Washington Avenue in 1883 and Dummitt Avenue in 1886, the Titusville Negro School was located on this site in 1915; it housed grades 1-8. The original building was burned in 1931, and a new eight-classroom frame building was erected; an auditorium was added later. The school grew to a 1-12 complex and the first students to complete high school here were graduated in 1938.

After the new Gibson School was opened in 1957, the site was abandoned and the old building razed.

Marker is located behind the Harry T Moore Social Services Center
at 725 Deleon Avenue, Titusville -- marker: 28.640335, -80.837336

Titusville Negro School website

      INDEX
Clifton Colored Schoolhouse marker

Clifton Colored Schoolhouse


THE CLIFTON COLORED SCHOOL
1890-1891

Before the Clifton Schoolhouse was built, Butler Campbell and Andrew Jackson's children were home schooled by a black teacher, Mr. Mahaffey. The County paid the teacher five dollars per student, but would not provide a schoolhouse. In 1890-91, Campbell and Jackson decided to build a schoolhouse. A neighbor, Wade Holmes provided a one-acre lot on the northwest corner of his property. The three men built a 12' x 16' heart pine structure that sat on coquina cornerstones about one foot off the ground. The west-facing front was fitted with a double-paneled door. Two sets of glass-paned windows were on the north and south sides. The roof was made of cedar or cypress boards. Campbell's children included Florida, Eugenia, Agnes, Henry and Willie, Valedictorian in 1892. Jackson's children were Annie, Mary, Floyd and Douglas, Valedictorian in 1893. Studies included reading, physiology, English, math and Latin. By 1910, the children were out of school or attending school elsewhere. In 1924, Eugenia returned to Clifton and later lived in the structure. When NASA bought properties on North Merritt Island in the 1960's, the families relocated to other areas and most of the houses were moved or demolished.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION, THE BREVARD COUNTY TOURIST DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-557 - 2005

Marker is located 2.8 miles north of the Haulover Canal on the Canaveral National Seashore, on the east side of U.S. Route 3. -- 28.640335, -80.837336

      School house photo is from an archive.

      INDEX
Dummett Grove historic marker

Dummett Grove area today


DOUGLAS DUMMETT ~~
DUMMETT GROVE

Indian River oranges, one of Florida's most outstanding products, were developed in the 19th century by Douglas Dummett. The Dummett family immigrated from the Barbados in 1807. By 1825, Thomas Dummett had acquired sugar plantations on the east coast of Florida. His son Douglas (b. 1806) established his plantation in this part of Merritt Island and began to grow oranges. Dummett used a new grafting technique later widely adopted in Florida. He grafted buds from sweet orange trees onto his sour orange trees. This method produced frost-resistant trees and was called top-grafting because budding began several feet above ground. Unlike many coastal planters, Dummett did not abandon his property during the Second Seminole war (1833-42). He served as captain in the "Mosquito Roarers," a Florida Militia company formed to protect property in this area from Indian raids. Dummett continued to cultivate what were regarded as East Florida's most valuable orange groves until his death in 1873. He also held elective and appointed political offices. The Dummett groves were damaged beyond recovery in the 1893 hurricane and the freeze of 1894-95. The property became part of Kennedy Space Center in 1963.
SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION IN COOPERATION WITH DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-261 - 1976

Marker is located 5 miles north of Wilson's Corner (Jct SR 402) on the Canaveral National Seashore, on the west side of U.S. Route 3. -- 28.640335, -80.837336

      Location photo is by Dave Rich

      INDEX
Marker at Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church in Mims

 Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church in Mims


GREATER ST. JAMES MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH OF MIMS

In 1894, after organizing a congregation, St. James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims, and with Rev. G. Brewer as pastor, built the first wooded church on this site in 1904 under the guidance of Rev. J.J. Gilbert. Many of North Brevardís pioneering black families: Warren, Grant, Campbell, Cuyler, Strickland, Bell, Harris, Hester, Lewis, Sheldon, Abrams, Brothers, Wright, Highsmith, and Mitchell, held positions in this church. Rev. James Massey served as an inspirational and dedicated leader from 1937-1967. Choir director Dorothy Hester also served as Youth Advisor for North Brevard NAACP under the direction of Harry T. Moore. Funeral services were held at this church for Civil Rights activists Harry T. Moore and Harriette V. Moore who were killed when their home was bombed on Christmas night 1951. Moore was Brevard County NAACP Chapter President and later NAACP Florida Convention president/state coordinator. The present church structure was built in 1964. The old wooden structure was torn down in 1968 and the annex building was started in 1971. The name of the church was changed to Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church in 1974.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE† - F-539 - 2005

Marker is located on Harry T. Moore Blvd., off US-1, in Mims -- 28.640335, -80.837336
      INDEX
 Marker for the Addison-Ellis Canal in Titusville

Looking into the Addison-Ellis Canal cut in the Enchanted Forest


THE ADDISON/ELLIS CANAL

In 1911, Edgar W. Ellis and J.H. Beckwith put together a consortium of developers known as the Titusville Fruit and Farm Lands Company. They acquired 22,500 acres in the western portion of the old Delespine Grant with plans to drain marshland in the St. Johns River Valley, to make the land usable for agricultural purposes. By 1913, 43 miles of lateral canals had been dug and work began on the Addison/Ellis Canal, which led from Addison Creek to the outlying vegetable fields. The canal was intended to relieve flooding in the St. Johns River by diverting floodwaters to the lagoon and to transport supplies and crops from the St. Johns River to the Indian River Lagoon, ending at Addison Point. The company used the coquina rock extracted from the canal to pave roads to their fields. The marshland and sand ridges proved no problem for the equipment used, but a coquina rock ridge that runs north-south proved insurmountable, and the canal was never completed. The consortium went broke and the project was abandoned. The canal never reached a useful depth, and construction ended just east of the scrub/coquina ridge in Addison Creek.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION, THE BREVARD COUNTY TOURIST DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE† - F-602 - 2007

Marker is located within the Enchanted Forest Nature Sanctuary off of SR 405, 1/4 mile west of U.S. 1. -- 28.640335, -80.837336

      Canal photo is by Dave Rich

      INDEX
Marker recognizing Harry & Harriette Moore

Harry & Harriette Cultural Center


HARRY T. MOORE & HARRIETTE V. MOORE MEMORIAL HOMESITE

This property is the former homesite of civil rights activists Harry T. and Harriette V. Moore, two people whose lives were committed to help Floridaís Negro communities unite to form a collective identity. Mr. Moore was a Brevard County educator who became a full-time civil rights activist. After being fired for demanding equal pay, he worked to equalize the salaries received by Negro teachers with that of their white counterparts. He organized the Progressive Voters League of Florida, and his efforts to open the Democratic Party to Negroes provided new political opportunities for minority citizens all over the state. Mr. Moore organized the first Brevard County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People in 1934, and served as its president for five years. From 1941-1946, he served as president of the Florida State Conference of the Branches of the NAACP, and then as the executive director until his death. Mr. Moore and his wife were murdered when a bomb was planted beneath their house on Christmas night in 1951.†
FLORIDA HERITAGE LANDMARK SPONSORED BY BREVARD COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE† - F-408 - 1999

Marker is located in the Moore Memorial Park, Freedom Avenue, Mims. -- 28.640335, -80.837336
      INDEX
Marker of the Windover Bog People Archaeological Site

Old photo of the Windover Bog People Archaeological Site


WINDOVER ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE

Discovered by accident in 1982, the Windover site is a burial place of Early Native Americans who inhabited this region 7,000 to 8,000 years ago. The burials were placed underwater in the peat of the shallow pond. This peat helped to preserve normally perishable artifacts and human tissues. This site contains the largest skeletal sample in the New World and the oldest bottle gourd found north of Mexico-two features that add to its significance. It also includes the largest and most complex sample of early textiles in the New World, a pollen record from the end of the Pleistocene to Recent Eras and recovery of some of the oldest DNA from brain tissue and bone. The remarkable state of preservation has allowed archaeologists to reconstruct some of the earliest New World diets based on contents from their stomachs and on scientific analysis. The site has produced the largest and most complex textile collection ever recovered from an Early Archaic period site. It also yielded a remarkable organic artifact inventory including wood and fibers. Archaeologists from Florida State University were among those who explored the Windover site.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE
SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTOICAL COMMISSION AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE † - F-488 - 2002

Marker is located at the fork of Windover Way in Titusville. -- 28.640335, -80.837336

      Dig photo is from an archive

      INDEX
Historical marker for the Haulover Canal

The Haulover Canal


HAULOVER CANAL

Native Americans, explorers and settlers hauled or carried canoes and small boats over this narrow strip of land between Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River. Eventually it became known as the "haulover". Connecting both bodies of water had long plagued early settlers of this area. Spaniards visited as early as 1605 and slid boats over the ground covered with mulberry tree bark. Early settlers used rollers and skids to drag schooners across. Fort Ann was established nearby in 1837, during the 2nd Seminole War (1835-1842) to protect the haulover from Indians and carry military supplies from the lagoon to the river. In 1852, contractor G.E. Hawes dug the first canal using slave labor. In was 3 ft. deep, 14ft. wide, and completed in time for the 3rd Seminole War (1856-1858). Steamboat and cargo ships used the passage until the railroad arrived in 1885. By 1887, the Florida Coast Line Canal and Transportation Co. dug a new and deeper can which you see now, a short distance from the original. The Intracoastal Waterway incorporated the Haulover Canal as a federal project in 1927 to be maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Since then the channel has been dug wider and deeper and a basin added for launching boats.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE
SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD COUNTY HISTOICAL COMMISSION AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE † - F-566 - 2006

Canal is located on Merritt Island N.W.R., Route 3, about 4.5 miles north of Wilson's Corner. -- 28.640335, -80.837336


      Canal photo by Dave Rich

      INDEX
Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker

Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker location
Unrefurbished


Blue Star Memorial Highway

"A Tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America"

The Blue Star Memorial Highways are a tribute to the armed forces that have defended the United States of America. The National Garden Clubs, Inc., is the parent organization for Blue Star Memorial Highways.
Sponsored by Florida Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc., in cooperation with the Titusville Garden Club and the Florida State Road Department


The Blue Star Memorial Marker Program of the National Garden Clubs Inc. began in 1945 to honor men and women serving in the Armed Forces during World War II. The name was chosen for the stars on flags displayed in homes and businesses denoting a family member serving. Garden Clubs pictured a ribbon of living memorial plantings traversing every state. The designation of Blue Star Highways was achieved through petitions to the state legislatures and cooperation with the Departments of Transportation. A uniform marker was designed to identify the Highways.

The BlueStar Memorial Program grew to extend thousands of miles across continental U.S., Alaska an Hawaii. All men and women who have served, are serving, or will serve in the Armed Forces of the United States are included.

Markers continue to be dedicated each year on highways, Veterans' facilities, National Cemeteries, parks and civic and historic sites, showing our appreciation for those who defend our country.

The Titusville Garden Club in May of 1965 dedicated The Blue Star Memorial Marker on U.S.Highway1. It is currently located at the intersection of U.S.1 and Harrison St. It was refurbished in 2011.

Located in the median of U.S. 1, just north of Harrison St. -- 28.640335, -80.837336

      Photos by Dave Rich

      INDEX
Historical marker near the location of the Titus House.

Post card of the Dixie Hotel - previously the  Titus House.


Titus House

Located on the Indian River, the hotel was built (circa 1869) and operated by Henry T. Titus, founder of Titusville.† The building, constructed of wood was U-shaped with each room opening on a veranda facing a tropical garden.

In the days of steam boat travel, the hotel, with its elaborate salon, was considered one of the best in Florida.† After the death of Titus, the property became the part of the Dixie Hotel.†

Post card is of the Dixie Hotel.
Do you have a rendering of the Titus House? †

F-36 Florida Board of Parks and Historical Markers† 1961

Located in the parking lot behind Julia Plaza, downtown. -- 28.640335, -80.837336

      Dixie Hotel photo is of a postcard.

      INDEX
William Bartram Trail marker.

William Bartram Trail marker setting.


National Council of State Garden Clubs - Deep South Region            

William Bartram Trail

† Traced 1773 - 1777

William Bartram exploring here in the 1760's collected many new plants and
discovered the tropical Zebra Butterfly: Heliconius Charitonius

ERECTED BY
Mrs. Allan D. Cruickshank, Member of Cocoa-Rockledge Garden Club

IN COOPERATION WITH
Florida Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc.,
Florida Department of Transportation & U.S. Dept. of the Interior,
National Park Service Canaveral National Seashore

Eddy Creek, Playalinda Beach, Canaveral National Seashore
Located in Canaveral National Seashore at the Eddy Creek fishing pier on the Mosquito Lagoon. -- 28.640335, -80.837336
      Photos by Dave Rich
Scenic Florida: William Bartram Scenic & Historic HighwayBartram Trail Conference
      INDEX
William Bartram Trail marker #2

William Bartram Trail marker #2 setting.


National Council of State Garden Clubs - Deep South Region            

William Bartram Trail - 2

† Traced 1773 - 1777

William Bartram while residing in Florida in 1766-67 explored Mosquito Lagoon by canoe seeing 11 bears in one day and many deer.

ERECTED BY
Cocoa-Rockledge Garden Club

IN COOPERATION WITH
Florida Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc.,
Florida Department of Transportation & U.S. Dept. of the Interior,
National Park Service Canaveral National Seashore

Parking Lot #12, Playalinda Beach, Canaveral National Seashore
Located in Canaveral National Seashore at the Parking Lot 12 on the Mosquito Lagoon side. -- 28.702040, -80.667254
      Photos by Dave Rich
      INDEX


All photos ©waltersphotos.org - unless otherwise noted.

North Brevard History
North Brevard Historicalsociety
North Brevard Heritage Foundation (preservation)
Education Directory



 


Titusville is a wonderfully varied community.
 
HOME

Titusville Area     Businesses

Calendar/Events
    Festivals
Places to Go
    Things to Do
    Ecotourism
About the NBBD

Community
Organizations

Government

Maps
Get out and go!

Keeping you up to date with what's going on.

Keeping you up-to-date with what is available and what is going on in the Titusville, FL area. Contact the webmaster for most anything by
CLICKING HERE

the North Brevard Area
Produced by Peak Performance Co.
[email protected]
Last updated: 8/3/14 — © 1996 - 2014
Your Titusville area business web site, web page, or web card on this Community Directory. We can register, produce, host and market your Internet presence.
Click to uncover many Soft Adventures in North Brevard.
LOTS TO DO in North Brevard.
We challenge you to discover them!


3/19/07