Historic North Brevard Florida

Your Guide to Historical Landmarks in North Brevard County, Florida

N/A

16. Cape Canaveral Air Force Station

Built: 1950
Location: Cape Canaveral

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station was selected for the site of a U.S. Missile Testing Range in 1947. Construction of this facility began in 1950, beginning Brevard County's journey into the world of space exploration. The first missile, a German V-2 with an Army WAC Corporal second stage, was launched from the Cape on July 24, 1950. Canaveral Air Force Station is nationally significant in its contributions to the manned U.S. Space Program, to the unmanned scientific exploration of space and in its role of missile testing. It was at Cape Canaveral that man developed the facilities that led to the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo manned space programs and today's launches of scientific payloads.


 

Abandoned Launch Pad 1999


BACK to Landmarks HomePage
1 - Old Haulover Canal
2 - Harry T. Moore Homesite
3 - LaGrange Church & Cemetar
4 - Andrew Froscher House
5 - St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
6 - Brevard County Courthouse
7 - The Pritchard House
8 - Titusville Commercial District
9 - The Wager House
10 - Judge George Robbins House
11 - The Spell House
12 - Launch Complex 39
13 - Windover Archeological Site
14 - St Luke's Episcopal Church
15 - Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
16 - Cape Canaveral Air Force Station







BACK to Historical Society
BACK to Educational Resources