Historic North Brevard Florida

Your Guide to Historical Landmarks in North Brevard County, Florida

Cape Canaveral Lighthouse

15. Cape Canaveral Lighthouse

Built: 1843 - 1848
Location: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station

The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse was originally built of wood. Construction began in 1843 and was completed in 1848. In 1853 Capt. Mills O. Burnham replaced Nathaniel Scobie as lighthouse keeper. During the Civil War Burnham sealed the lighthouse mechanisms in crates and buried them in his Banana River orange grove, to discourage Yankee ships from landing along the coast. In 1868, the lighthouse was re-built of brick and later reinforced with iron plates. In 1893, Congress appropriated funds for the beacon's relocation inland to its present site and the move was completed in 1894. Burnham was the lighthouse keeper until his death in 1886. His descendants continued to run the lighthouse until 1952 when the U.S. Coast Guard took over operation.


 

Cape Canaveral Lighthouse 1999


BACK to Landmarks HomePage
1 - Old Haulover Canal
2 - Harry T. Moore Homesite
3 - LaGrange Church & Cemetar
4 - Andrew Froscher House
5 - St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
6 - Brevard County Courthouse
7 - The Pritchard House
8 - Titusville Commercial District
9 - The Wager House
10 - Judge George Robbins House
11 - The Spell House
12 - Launch Complex 39
13 - Windover Archeological Site
14 - St Luke's Episcopal Church
15 - Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
16 - Cape Canaveral Air Force Station







BACK to Historical Society
BACK to Educational Resources