Historic North Brevard Florida

Your Guide to Historical Landmarks in North Brevard County, Florida

St. Luke's Church

14. St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Courtenay

Built: 1888
Location: 5555 N. Tropical Trail, Merritt Island

St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Courtenay was formed as a congregation by the Porcher, LaRoche and Sams families. They settled on north Merritt Island after leaving Charleston, South Carolina in 1875, after the loss of their homes and plantations in the Civil War. The first services were held in 1879, and as the membership grew, services were held in a store building on the banks of the Indian River. In 1888, property was donated for the site of St. Luke's Episcopal Church. The church was built with $600 in donations. During the early years, the church did not have a vicar. Ministers from churches in Cocoa and Titusville traveled by boat to hold monthly services while members led weekly services. The Gothic Revival style wood-frame structure was built of hand-planed island pine and cypress with a steep-gabled roof and square bell tower. It is now used as a chapel for mid-week and special services.


 

St. Luke's Church 1999


BACK to Landmarks HomePage
1 - Old Haulover Canal
2 - Harry T. Moore Homesite
3 - LaGrange Church & Cemetar
4 - Andrew Froscher House
5 - St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
6 - Brevard County Courthouse
7 - The Pritchard House
8 - Titusville Commercial District
9 - The Wager House
10 - Judge George Robbins House
11 - The Spell House
12 - Launch Complex 39
13 - Windover Archeological Site
14 - St Luke's Episcopal Church
15 - Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
16 - Cape Canaveral Air Force Station







BACK to Historical Society
BACK to Educational Resources