Historic North Brevard Florida

Your Guide to Historical Landmarks in North Brevard County, Florida

St. Gabriels Episcopal Church

5. St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church

Built: 1887
Location: 414 Palm Avenue, Titusville

An outstanding example of the neo-Gothic architectural style, St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church was built in 1887 on land donated by J. Dunlin Perkinson, a lay reader for the mission, and by Mary E. Titus, the wife of Colonel Henry Titus. The church was to have been accompanied by a cemetery, however, the town council opposed the idea of a cemetery within the town's limits and it was never pursued. The wood-frame church is known for its stained glass St. Gabriel's window, which sends sparkles of light throughout the dark wood interior. In response to this gift, the members changed the church's name from St. john's to St. Gabriel's in 1888. The large steeple houses a bell donated by the ladies of the church and installed in 1892, which is said to be the largest in Brevard County.


 

St. Gabriels Episcopal Church 1999


BACK to Landmarks HomePage
1 - Old Haulover Canal
2 - Harry T. Moore Homesite
3 - LaGrange Church & Cemetar
4 - Andrew Froscher House
5 - St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
6 - Brevard County Courthouse
7 - The Pritchard House
8 - Titusville Commercial District
9 - The Wager House
10 - Judge George Robbins House
11 - The Spell House
12 - Launch Complex 39
13 - Windover Archeological Site
14 - St Luke's Episcopal Church
15 - Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
16 - Cape Canaveral Air Force Station







BACK to Historical Society
BACK to Educational Resources