The Pritchard House
National Register

City of Titusville, FL
Historic Preservation Board

For information, please contact:
Planning and Growth Management
P. O . Box 2806
555 South Washington Avenue
Titusville, Florida 32781
Phone: (321) 567-3782
www.titusville.com
Bradley.Parrish@Titusville.com
(Brochure)

St. Gabriel's Church
National Register


The Dobson House
902 Indian River Ave.


Dobson Research PaperHistoric Designation Report (25 pages PDF)

Dobson House #1
Dobson House #2

Construction Materials

The building is a 1 story Bungalow style home. The house foundation has multiple masonry materials (original brick which was later covered with stucco, continuous concrete, concrete block). The structural system is wood (balloon) construction. The exterior fabric of the house was originally wood clapboard; however, the wood clapboard was covered with vinyl siding in the 2004. The windows which are original to the house are 3/1 and 5/1 double hung sash wooden windows. There are two chimneys on the structure one of which is brick (fireplace) and the other which is metal (vent/chimney?). The brick chimney was originally on the outside of the house, but was enclosed when the additional bedroom was added. The roof is covered in asphalt shingles.

Statement of Significance

The property at 902 Indian River Ave. was built between 1915 and 1920 as a private home for Mr. Thomas G. Knight. Mr. Knight organized the Superior Motor Works company to manufacture automobile parts and equipment. He sold the house in 1920 to William B. Dobson, who published the Cocoa Star and purchased the East Coast Advocate, combining them into the Star-Advocate in 1920. The property was part of the original Delespine Grant, dated 1903. The building is a one story wooden frame building that features a hip roof, an end porch, two dormers with hip roofs, original battered (slanted) porch columns, and original 5/1 and 3/1 double hung sash windows with battered (tapered) casings. The building has undergone some alteration/additions throughout its long history. The structure is significant for its association with the development of Titusville's residential area during the Florida Period of Expansion of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The building architecture, Bungalow Style, reflects the State of Florida's trend in building architecture during the period in which it was constructed.


Historic Preservation Board Homepage
Dobson HouseBrady HouseConkling House