Dedication of Historical Marker to Commemorate Clifton Colored School at Canaveral National SeashoreContact: John Stiner at (321) 267-1110 Ext. 14
On Saturday September 2, 2006 at 10:00 a.m. a State Historical Marker will be erected to commemorate the former Clifton Colored School, located about 1 1/2 miles north of Haulover Canal. Constructed in 1890 - 1891, it was one of the first schools for Black children in Brevard County. At that time, the county did not provide schools in rural areas so Butler Campbell and Andrew Jackson, two local citrus growers, built a structure for the education of their nine children. Wade Holmes, a neighbor, provided the land. The county contributed $5.00 per student to fund a certified teacher. A newspaper article in 1893 proclaimed that "although the school is small, it is one of the best in the countyÉ". Subjects included reading, English, physiology, advanced math and Latin. By 1910, the Jackson and Campbell children were out of school or attending higher grades in Titusville and the school was no longer needed.
Through the cooperative efforts of Canaveral National Seashore, North Brevard Heritage Foundation, Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Kennedy Space Center and Brevard County Parks and Recreation Department, the moldering remains of the school were collected in May and will be used to construct a structure offsite by the North Brevard County Heritage Foundation.
The ceremony is being held in conjunction with a Campbell family reunion. The marker is sponsored by the Brevard County Historical Commission.
BACK to Canaveral National Seashore Press Releases
BACK to Canaveral National Seashore NBBD HomePage